Kilgore Science & Technology Department
The Science & Technology Department, of Kilgore, explores new and innovative ideas in countermeasure, energetic / ordnance item development and applied research. Staff members are highly experienced and knowledgeable in expendable countermeasures, test and evaluation, modeling, simulation and energetic item design and development.
Technology services include:
- Research and feasibility studies
- Preparation of drawings and specifications
- Verification and validation testing
- Product or item environmental conditioning
- Proof and surveillance testing
- Post delivery services
Product development of:
- Aircraft Countermeasures
- Land Vehicle Countermeasures
- Naval Shipboard Countermeasures
- Smoke and Obscurants
- Small Arms Ammunition
- Composition development
Kilgore's design facility incorporates the latest 3-D modeling software. This capability allows engineers to analyze their designs using state-of-the-art solid modeling, computational fluid dynamic, computational heat transfer, and mechanical analysis software.
Outdoor Testing Facility
Kilgore conducts live-fire testing and full-range data collection and reduction at its proving grounds. The proving grounds are located on approximately 250 acres, which provides adequate space to safely conduct tests. Kilgore has the ability to collect & analyze the following types of data:
- Setback force
- Ejection velocity and acceleration
- Ignition distances
- Radiant Energy
- Component function
Kilgore’s Advanced Windstream Facility provides a 10” Mach .9 windstream to analyze steady state or decaying windstream profiles. The windstream is capable of testing the most advanced flares available while providing thrust, high speed video, spectral and banded infrared analysis data from ultraviolet to far infrared.
Indoor Testing Facilities
Kilgore's indoor testing facilities include an indoor tunnel used for measurement of device radiant energy (including performance data collection in multiple bands for spectrally tailored devices). Additionally, the facility allows for the monitoring or characterizing of the effects of an air-stream upon the item during its use.
A 100 yd. Ballistic test tunnel is available for ammunition testing as well as free-flight testing of thrusted countermeasures.
Kilgore maintains an extensive radiographic inspection capability, including state-of-the-art digital techniques and equipment allowing for real-time evaluations.
Environmental Conditioning Facility
The Environment Conditioning Facility provides test and analysis capability for the following areas:
Vibration Analysis; Transportation Vibration, Random Vibration, Sinusoidal Vibration
- Thermal Cycling
- Thermal Shock
- Drop Testing (various)
- Temperature / Altitude Testing
- Temperature / Humidity Testing
Kilgore utilizes simulation software for the following activities:
- Hazards analysis in the production of flares including handling, transportation, and storage of flare grains and components
- Designing and trouble-shooting production processes using VEXDAM and BlastFx software
- Computational heat transfer and fluid dynamics using ALGOR for detailed design and analysis
- Analyzing and predicting effectiveness of expendable countermeasures against threats to air, sea, and land vehicles using CounterSim and MOSAIC.
New Product Development Programs
Kilgore is continuously developing new products, improving existing products, and ensuring the quality of fielded countermeasures through life-extension efforts. Our products developed with private venture funds are designated by the KC prefix. Some of our recent and current product developments include:
Back to top
- KC005LF - A low Falling Ordnance Debris (FOD) 1 X 1 aerodynamic infrared countermeasure designed for rotary wing aircraft.
- KC32 - 36mm Aircraft Infrared Countermeasure with advanced ignition system
- KC38 - 36mm Aircraft Infrared Countermeasure with advanced ignition system
- KC003SP - Aircraft 36mm Infrared Countermeasure with advanced ignition system & spectrally tailored signature
- MJU68 & MJU69 - Composition development and integration of the F-35 Lighting Joint Strike Fighter Infrared Countermeasures Suite
- ALA-17C - Infrared Countermeasure for the B-52H Aircraft
- MJU39 & MJU40 - Composition development and integration of the F/A-22 Raptor Infrared Countermeasures Suite